PS002-04.jpg (81277 bytes) New York Architecture Images-  Park Slope, Brooklyn

The Montauk Club Landmark

Top Ten New York Clubs


Francis H. Kimball


25 Eighth Avenue. NE cor. Lincoln Place. 1889-1891.




Venetian Gothic




Brownstone, brick, terra-cotta, and verdigris copper.

A Venetian Gothic palazzo, whose canal is the narrow lawn separating it from its cast-iron fence. Remember the Ca d’Oro. But here in brownstone, brick, terra-cotta, and verdigris copper. It bears the name of a local tribe, which explains the 8th Avenue friezes at the 3rd and 4th stories, honoring these former local natives.



The Montauk Club has been a private club since it was founded in 1889. The magnificent Club House was designed by the famed New York architect Francis H. Kimball, who was inspired by a palace on Venice’s Grand Canal. The Club House was completed in 1891 and its Venetian gothic architecture, carved mahogany woodwork and beautiful stained glass windows remain its signature features.

Today, the Club is a vibrant part of its Park Slope, Brooklyn neighborhood. Members organize a variety of events year-round. Recent events have included talks by local authors, jazz performances, a formal dinner to celebrate the Club’s 115th anniversary, and informal parties and dinners to celebrate everything from Bloom’s Day to members running the New York City Marathon. Book clubs are popular and the bar is always crowded for a Yankees series against the Red Sox, with just enough Boston fans to make it interesting.

In addition to Club events, the Club House is available to members for personal and business entertaining. To inquire about membership or to plan an event, please complete the Online Membership Application or Private Dining Inquiry Form, or contact the Club Manager, Aaron Hermann.

The history of the Montauk Club is inextricably linked to the history of Brooklyn. The Club was founded in 1889 in the midst of the economic boom that followed the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge six years earlier. As the population of the borough surged (from 570,000 in 1880 to almost 900,000 by 1894), construction of residential buildings in the borough accelerated. Many of the area’s most prominent families settled in newly-fashionable Park Slope. The founding members of the Club included Charles Pratt, the founder of the Pratt Institute, Richard Schermerhorn, who oversaw the construction of the Prospect Park and Coney Island Railroad and Edwin C. Litchfield, the lawyer and railroad developer who owned much of the property that became Park Slope. Many of the people whose names now identify Brooklyn neighborhoods and streets were founding members, including Dean, Lefferts, Montgomery and Underhill.

At the time the Club was founded, most of Brooklyn’s leaders favored consolidation of Brooklyn with Manhattan. Shortly after the completion of the Club House in 1891, the prominent Brooklyn lawyer and politician William Gaynor gave a speech at the Club intended to rouse pro-merger business and political leaders to action. Gaynor’s speech led to the creation of the Brooklyn Consolidation League in 1893, which was founded to support and facilitate municipal ties with Manhattan. That same year, Gaynor lead a two hundred man delegation from the BCL to Albany to lobby for consolidation. In 1894, Brooklyn voters narrowly passed the consolidation referendum (by 277 votes out of the 129,000 cast). After several more rounds of wrangling, the five boroughs were consolidated in 1897. The result was due, at least in some small part, to Gaynor’s passionate speech at the Club.

In the century since Gaynor’s speech, the Club has hosted many prominent political figures including Grover Cleveland, Herbert Hoover, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy.


  with thanks to "The AIA Guide to New York" and