1930s – Federal Reserve Bank by Irving Underhill
The German American building was built by the German American Insurance Company on the triangular block of William st, Maiden lane and Liberty street in 1908. The ‘flatiron’ style building rose over twenty stories or 281ft high. The building is now demolished.
The First National Bank Building 1921
The First National Bank, situated at Broadway and Wall Street, is America’s oldest bank and has had a building at its present site in one form or another for over two hundred years.
The Dun building is situated at the northeast corner of Broadway and Reade Street. The Dun building, built by R.G Dun and Company, rises to fifteen stories high. It Famously employed novel usages of elevators and air conditioning.
The Victory Arch was completed on October 21 1892, the arch was meant as a gateway to separate the city from what was then Prospect Park Plaza. A blind jury of two experts, appointed by the Soldiers and Sailors Monument Commission, selected the design which was dedicated by president Grover Cleavland.
New York City: Metropolitan Opera House 1902
The first Metropolitan Opera House was opened on October 22 1883, nicknamed “The Yellow Brick Brewery” for its industrial looking exterior, it was gutted by fire in 1892. In 1903 the interior of the opera house was extensively redesigned by the architects Carrère and Hastings. The old Met closed on April 16, 1966, having failed to obtain landmark building status, it was demolished in 1967. It was replaced by a modern office building intended to provide a steady income for the opera company.
The equitable fire ruins on January 12 1912
The equitable life building was built in 1870 and was the first office building with passenger elevators. The building was destroyed by a fire in 1912 ( of which the aftermath is shown here), and a new equitable life building now occupies the site.
Equitable Trust Co. Building and The Hotel Biltmore 1921.
The Equitable Trust Building standing at forty fifth street and Madison avenue, it was completed in 1918 and stands twenty stories high.
The Merchants & Manufacturers Exchange Building 1911
The Merchants & Manufacturers Exchange Building was planned as twin twelve story buildings at a cost of $,3500,000 each. It was built over a sunken railway, along forty sixth and forty eight streets and Lexington, by the New York Central Railroad and the New Haven and Hartford Railroad. Housing spaces for wholesale merchants, its ground floor was planned as a convention centre to rival Madison Square Garden, while a summer garden and restaurant was planned for the roof.
The Knickerbocker Trust Co. Building 1912
The Knickerbocker Trust, established in 1884 by Fred Eldridge was at one time one of the largest banks in America, until its collapse after the bankers panic of 1907.
The original Macy’s Building & Herald Square 1907.
The original Macy’s Broadway building was built in 1901–02, The building has been designated a National Historic Landmark. It boasts one of the few wooden escalators still in operation.
Tammany Hall 1914
The famous Tammany Hall at East 14th Street. Local democratic party and new York party politics were often intertwined here between the 1790s to the 1960s.
New York Stock Exchange at Broad Street 1908
The New York Stock Exchange situated on Broad Street, was open in April 1903. The original building having been destroyed in the great fire of New York in 1835.
The Woolworth Building was constructed in 1910 at Park Place and Barclay Street. Costing $ 13,500,000 to construct, the building rises to 792 feet (241 m).
The New York Clearing House 1912.
The New York Clearing House Association, the USA’s first and largest bank clearing house, was created in 1853 to simplify the settlement process among the banks of new york. Today the clearing house administrates an average in excess of $20 billion per day.
U. S. Custom House 1908.
The Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House was built between 1902 and 1907 by the US government to house the duty collection operations for the port of New York. The building now houses the New York Museum Of The American Indian, and the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
The Original Fuller Building (The Flatiron building)1903.
The Flatiron Building also known as the Fuller Building, is one of the first, and most recognised skyscrapers. Built in 1902, at 175 fifth avenue, and using newly devised construction techniques it rises to 285 feet (87 m).
Irving Underhill (1872-1960), a successful photographer who also took pictures to be rendered as colored postcards or “souvenir cards”.
Underhill opened his studio in 1896, specializing in “artistic portraits, city views and panoramas, group photographs, marine, legal and machinery photography.”
He was so successful that his agency received exclusive commissions to photograph and promote new buildings like the Woolworth Building, which he would capture in timed intervals to track the construction process. Many years later, his name could be seen from blocks away, plastered along the top of his studios at Broadway and Park Place. You can see the words ‘Irving Underhill, General Photographer’ along the top of the image here, taken in 1922.
Underhill’s early portfolio was printed in the 1904 book One Hundred And Sixty Glimpses of Greater New York, an incredible array of black and white images detailing city architecture in the midst of the gilded era. Each page is cleanly labeled and visual detectives will enjoy matching the images to what stands in these places today. You can look at most of the book on Google Books.
Special thanks to- http://netmole.blogspot.com/